Friday, May 20, 2011

Planting Season

I finally have most of my vegetables and herbs planted for the year. I have 3 tomato plants (one grape, one Early Girl (50 day), and one Celebrity (70 day)), 3 sweet basil plants, one onion chive, one garlic chive, one parsley, one cilantro, and two mint plants.

The mint is on my front step in a planter with New Guinea impatiens. I planted it about two weeks ago and have already harvested once. I'm hoping that by harvesting early, the plant will become bushier. So far I have only used the mint in my water. I decided to freeze half of my recent harvest. I read on the internet that a person can freeze mint leaves whole and then just drop them in water later.

Front Step

Mint Close Up 2

May 19 mint harvest

May 19 mint water

The rest of the plants are on my deck. The Early Girl tomato is in its own pot, and the rest of the plants are in the big, wood box that my husband built for me last year.

Garden Box

Early Girl tomato pot

My soil is a mixture of humus, vermiculite, and peat moss.

The only other plant I have left to purchase and pot is rosemary. It prefers different growing conditions than the rest of my plants, so it will be in its own pot on my deck.

And some of the neighborhood goldfinches just for fun:

Goldfinches 3

No comments:

Post a Comment